Friday, February 13, 2009

Bohemians at Goddard!

I suppose that there have been bohemians at Goddard for decades - but these are Bohemian Waxwings. As I was walking to my office the other day I saw this large flock of birds high in a tree making a noise that sounded to me like purring. Gina Gifun, HAS student, refined that aptly to a sound like "pigeons purring." I saw them swoop down to eat the small crab apples and then fly back up high in the tree. After getting a closer look I thought they were Cedar Waxwings, and didn't have my binoculars with me. I emailed my wife who told me to look for Bohemian Waxwings mixed in. I did some research as to distinguishing features and hoped I could see them again.

So this morning I rushed out early from the dorm to see if they were still there. I was so excited to see them that I slipped on the ice and fell quite soundly on my backside. But I did manage to get some pictures and confirm the reassuring news that we continue have Bohemians at Goddard.

1 comment:

RFarmer said...

The melodious twittering of the waxwings drew me to them. So many birds and so many voices! I often rush around during a residency, but these songsters commanded attention. Stopping to watch them eat and fly, and listening to them chatter centered me.

Your photographs are lovely, Jim. I hope you post more in the future.
Ruth